is there a development roadmap?
Doug Hellmann
2017-06-13 18:52:54 UTC
I would like to get involved with future work on sphinx, and start by
understanding the current plans, especially because it looks like, based on
issue #3865 [1], there are some impending API changes that are going to
affect several projects I work on.

Is there a wiki doc or mailing list thread or something I can start with to
understand the current plans?

Thanks,
Doug

[1] https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/issues/3865
Konstantin Molchanov
Komiya Takeshi
2017-06-17 04:57:45 UTC
Hi Doug,

Unfortunately we don't have any roadmaps and plans...

About #3865, it is not an intentional change.
Certainly, we're going to move logging framework to Sphinx logging API
now. But old styled warn() methods are still available. So it is only
a bug (and fixed it just now).
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/extdev/logging.html

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA
Doug Hellmann
2017-06-17 20:20:51 UTC
Post by Komiya Takeshi
Hi Doug,
Unfortunately we don't have any roadmaps and plans...
OK. I am available to help with testing, especially if there are changes
where you think there may be backwards incompatibility issues such as
#3865. I have quite a few doc sets with custom extensions that I can run
tests against. I will try to watch for beta releases, but if you would like
to contact me directly that is OK, too.
Post by Komiya Takeshi
About #3865, it is not an intentional change.
Certainly, we're going to move logging framework to Sphinx logging API
now. But old styled warn() methods are still available. So it is only
a bug (and fixed it just now).
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/extdev/logging.html
Wonderful, thank you so much for fixing that quickly!

Doug
Post by Komiya Takeshi
Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA
Komiya Takeshi
2017-06-18 15:24:47 UTC
Post by Doug Hellmann
OK. I am available to help with testing, especially if there are changes
where you think there may be backwards incompatibility issues such as #3865.
I have quite a few doc sets with custom extensions that I can run tests
against. I will try to watch for beta releases, but if you would like to
contact me directly that is OK, too.
Thank you for your offer. That would be nice :-)

According to our deprecation policy, we will announce and warn about
deprecation during a major version at least.
So I can promise you not break compatibility suddenly if you use
public Sphinx API.
(Of course, internal structure might be changed.)
https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/blame/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst#L313

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA
Post by Doug Hellmann
Post by Komiya Takeshi
About #3865, it is not an intentional change.
Certainly, we're going to move logging framework to Sphinx logging API
now. But old styled warn() methods are still available. So it is only
a bug (and fixed it just now).
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/extdev/logging.html
Wonderful, thank you so much for fixing that quickly!
Doug
Post by Komiya Takeshi
Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA