What's the Easiest Way to make .docx or .odt Files from Sphinx?
Konstantin Molchanov
2016-11-15 07:13:28 UTC
Hi!

We're making a transition to Sphinx in the company. There are a few issues,
but the biggest for now is the lack of an easy way to make MS Word
documents.

Quick googling reveals two docx builders for Sphinx, both unmaintained for
quite a long time.

I'm sure we're not the first to face this kind of problem. Maybe you guys
can suggest an easy way to solve it?

P.S. Both .docx and .odt will do. Basically, as far as it's uploadable to
and editable on Google Docs, it's ok.

P.P.S. If nothing better is found, I guess the only way to go is to make
pdf with Sphinx and use Pandoc to convert it to docx, which apparently is a
journey full of pain and tears.
Konstantin Molchanov
2016-11-15 13:13:09 UTC
Thanks for the response. I've found this one too, but, as you noted, it
only works with vanilla rst and doesn't support Sphinx's additions, so it's
no fir for the task.
Post by Konstantin Molchanov
Post by Konstantin Molchanov
We're making a transition to Sphinx in the company. There are a few
issues,
Post by Konstantin Molchanov
but the biggest for now is the lack of an easy way to make MS Word
documents.
Quick googling reveals two docx builders for Sphinx, both unmaintained
for
Post by Konstantin Molchanov
quite a long time.
There is an odt builder for Docutils (http://docutils.sf.net).
This may help for standalone rST documents without Sphinx specifics.
As Sphinx uses Docutils internally, it may be also a building block for
Sphinx - odt export.
GÃŒnter
Peter Burdine
2016-11-15 14:25:08 UTC
While not a straight shot, if you have Adobe Pro, you can produce a PDF
then open it in acrobat and convert it to .docx. I seems to work OK-ish.

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:13:09 AM UTC-8, Konstantin Molchanov
Konstantin Molchanov
2016-11-15 14:28:50 UTC
I don't have Acrobat Pro, but I've considered using Word for the same
purpose. Unfortunately, converting from PDF to other formats works quite
poorly. The formatting is lost here and there.
Komiya Takeshi
2016-11-15 15:10:37 UTC
Hi,

AFAIK, there are no extensions to build .docx or .odt directly.
Here is a list of extensions I made at 2 years ago.
http://sphinxext-survey.readthedocs.io/en/latest/builders.html

So I suggest you to use singlehtml builder to convert your docs to MS-Word.
MS-Word can read HTML document and save it .docx.
That requires manual operation. But it is a sure way to do that at this
moment.

Of course it would be nice to make a new extension to export these format
:-)

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA
2017-08-06 13:22:44 UTC
Hi, as far as I
remember https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sphinxcontrib-docxbuilder worked for
me for many simple use cases, even though it's in Alpha status. Probably
depends on how difficult the documents you're working on are, but probably
worth checking out and extending - that would really help the community.

Cheers
Michael